Spicy Fried Noodles with Tomatoes and Cabbage
- 1/2 lb. Hokkien noodles or thick Chinese-style
- 3 Tbs. peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 6 oz. large shrimp, peeled, deveined and
- 1 small carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 lb. red cabbage, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 green onions, including tender green portions,
cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small firm tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 boiled potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch
- 3 Tbs. tomato ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 Tbs. chili sauce
- 1 Tbs. kecap manis
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 1 small English (hothouse) cucumber, sliced
- 1 lemon, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
In a nonstick wok over high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the oil. Add the garlic and yellow onion, and toss and stir until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and toss and stir until bright orange, about 1 minute. Add the carrot, cabbage and green onions, and toss and stir until the vegetables begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and potato, and toss and stir, being careful not to break up the cubes, until heated, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Return the wok to high heat and add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the noodles and toss to lightly coat with the oil. Add the ketchup, chili sauce, kecap manis, soy sauce and sugar and toss to thoroughly coat the noodles, about 2 minutes.
Push the noodles up the side of the wok to make a well in the middle. Crack the eggs into the well and lightly beat. Cook, without stirring, until set, about 1 minute. Gently fold the eggs into the noodles. Add the reserved shrimp and vegetables and stir to combine.
Divide among individual bowls. Top with the green chili and cucumber slices and accompany with the lemon wedges.