Sausage, Chestnut and Wild Mushroom Dressing
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz. assorted fresh mushrooms, such as
cremini, oyster and shiitake, brushed clean
- 1 1/2 cups steamed chestnuts, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh ﬂat-leaf parsley
- 1 box focaccia stufﬁng
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are soft and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chestnuts and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushroom mixture to a large bowl.
Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring and crumbling with a fork, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in the thyme, sage and parsley and transfer to the bowl with the mushroom mixture.
Add the focaccia stuffing to the bowl and stir to combine. Stir in 1 3/4 cups of the stock. The dressing should be moist but not soggy. Add more stock if needed.
Spoon the dressing into the prepared baking dish and bake until the dressing is browned on top and heated through, about 1 hour. If the dressing begins to brown too quickly, cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil.