Ham & Pear Panini with Oven-Baked Fries
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into fries
1/4 to 1/3 inch thick
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 8 slices country-style bread, each 1/2 inch thick
- 8 thin slices ham
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
On a Silpat-lined baking sheet, stir together the potatoes, salt, pepper and the 2 Tbs. olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, gently flipping the fries with a spatula after 15 minutes of cooking.
Meanwhile, preheat an electric panini press according to the manufacturers instructions.
Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Lay the slices, oiled side down, on a clean work surface. Arrange 2 slices ham on each of 4 bread slices and top with the pear and cheese slices, dividing evenly. Top each with one of the remaining bread slices, oiled side up.
Place the sandwiches on the preheated panini press and cook according to the manufacturers instructions until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately with the fries. Serves 4.