Multi-Cooker Creamy Cheese Grits with Ham
A popular side in the South, where they often accompany barbecued shrimp, decadent cheese grits deserve wider popularity. Try serving this dish with eggs for a warming winter breakfast, or serve them in place of mashed potatoes with dinner. Using the KitchenAid multi-cooker to continually stir the grits ensures creamy results without the need to stand over the stove.
- 6 cups (48 fl. oz./1.5 l) water
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) milk
- 2 cups (12 oz./375 g) coarse white grits
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 8 oz. (250 g) diced ham
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (3 oz./90 g) sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) sour cream (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a multi-cooker on the boil/steam setting, bring the water and milk to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits and stir in the 2 tsp. salt.
Change the setting to simmer, attach the stir tower and cook the grits, stirring on the low setting, until the grits are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add the ham, cheese, green onions and sour cream and continue stirring until the cheese has melted. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into individual bowls and serve immediately. Serves 8.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen