Prepared from a blend of pork shoulder and short rib meat, these petite burgers boast an exceptionally moist texture and robust flavor. They’re topped with a Carolina-style coleslaw and a spicy-sweet barbecue sauce just before serving.
For the coleslaw:
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 5 green onions, white and light green portions, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 3 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lb. LaFrieda pork shoulder and beef burger blend
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 Parker House rolls, halved
- The Pit Western-style North Carolina barbecue sauce for serving
To make the coleslaw, place the cabbage in a large colander, lightly sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Spin the cabbage in a salad spinner or pat with paper towels to remove the excess moisture. Transfer to a large bowl, add the green onions and carrot and toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, honey and vinegar. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill.
Divide the burger blend into 12 portions, each 2 oz., and roll each into a ball. Using a square slider press according to the manufacturer’s instructions, form the balls into slider patties. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the patties to a slider grilling basket.
Place the basket on the grill and cook, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium, or until done to your liking.
Meanwhile, place the rolls, cut sides down, on the grill and toast for about 1 minute.
Remove the coleslaw from the refrigerator and toss again. Place a slider patty on the bottom half of each roll. Top with barbecue sauce and coleslaw. Cover each with the top half of a roll. Serve immediately with more sauce and coleslaw on the side. Makes 12 sliders.