Asian-Flavored Chicken with Shiitakes and Bok Choy
Chicken and vegetables are bathed in a quick Korean-inspired sauce that is also good on fish. Nutty-flavored, slightly sticky short-grain brown rice is a delightful gluten-free accompaniment.
- 4 Tbs. (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced serrano chili with seeds
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) gluten-free tamari
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./60 g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb. (625 to 750 g) boneless, skinless chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- 8 oz. (250 g) fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cooked short-grain brown rice for serving
In a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the shallot, ginger and chili and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the tamari, brown sugar, vinegar and water and simmer until the mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup (6 fl. oz./180 ml), about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Transfer half of the sauce to another small bowl.
Put the chicken in a large bowl. Add 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. In another large bowl, combine the bok choy and mushrooms. Add the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Prepare a hot fire in a grill.
Place the chicken on the grill and brush with sauce from one of the bowls. Place the vegetables on the grill. Cover the grill and cook the chicken, brushing occasionally with the sauce, until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Cook the vegetables until crisp-tender and browned, about 4 minutes per side.
Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a warmed platter and sprinkle with the green onions. Serve immediately with rice and the sauce from the other bowl. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd (Weldon Owen, 2013).