- 4 apples
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blackberries or blueberries
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded dried coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Peel, core and thinly slice the apples.
In a bowl, stir together the berries, apples, cornstarch and granulated sugar. Spread the fruit mixture in a baking dish that is 12 to 14 inches in diameter.
In a bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, oats, coconut, almonds, cinnamon and ginger. Drizzle with the melted butter and toss with a fork to combine. Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake until golden and crisp, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm. Serves 6 to 8.
Adapted from New Healthy Kitchen Series, Desserts, by Annabel Langbein (Simon & Schuster, 2006).