Creamy Fish Chowder
- 2 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 leek, halved, rinsed and sliced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into small
- 1 1/2 cups fish stock or water
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. cod or other firm white-fleshed fish fillets,
pin bones removed and fillets cut into bite-size
- 1 1/2 cups milk
Add the stock, the 1/2 tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper to the pan and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
Season the fish lightly with salt and pepper. Add the fish and milk to the pan and cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the fish easily flakes apart, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Ladle the chowder into bowls and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Seafood, by Jay Harlow (Oxmoor House, 2007).