Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs. minced shallot
- 1 1/2 lb. white button mushrooms, brushed clean
and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine (optional)
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus 1/4 cup for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Deep-fried sage leaves for garnish (optional)
In a stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallot and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the porcini and button mushrooms and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the Madeira and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour and stir to coat. Stir in the mushroom soaking liquid and the remaining 4 cups stock. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth, then return the soup to the pot. Stir in the 1/2 cup cream and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish with fried sage leaves or drizzle with cream. Serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.