Bread and Onion Soup
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 5 cups water, vegetable stock or chicken stock or
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices coarse country bread, preferably
day-old, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or
shredded fontina cheese
Meanwhile, preheat an oven to 350°F.
When the onion mixture is ready, season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Place individual ovenproof bowls on 1 or 2 baking sheets and evenly divide the bread cubes among them. Top with the hot onion mixture and then the cheese.
Bake until the cheese melts and the soup is piping hot, 10 to 20 minutes. Garnish with the remaining 4 Tbs. basil and serve immediately.