Return to Previous Page
Frosting a Cake
- 1. Set a cardboard cake round sized to fit the cake on a cake-decorating stand. Put 1 Tbs. icing in the center of the cardboard round, then center the first layer of cake on the round.
- 2. Using an icing spatula, spread the icing evenly over the first cake layer.
- 3. Center the second cake layer over the first. Spread the icing evenly over the top of the cake.
- 4. Spread the icing evenly around the sides of the cake.
- 5. To decorate the cake with flaked coconut, ground nuts or chocolate shavings, carefully remove the cake from the stand, holding the cake by the cardboard underneath. Over a sheet of waxed paper, gently press the coconut or other garnish into the sides, letting the excess fall off.
- 6. Sprinkle the remaining flaked coconut or other garnish over the top, then transfer the cake to a serving plate.