Spiced Chicken & Rice
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice, such as basmati
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Make the rice
Add the ginger and curry powder to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits from the pan bottom, and bring to a boil. Add the rice, raisins, lemon zest and juice, and 1 tsp. salt.
Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the chicken is opaque throughout, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, cover and let stand for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the cilantro and cashews over the rice, stir to combine and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, One Pot, by Carrolyn Carreño (Oxmoor House, 2008).