Shrimp and Grits
For the grits:
- 1 cup white grits
- 4 1/2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room
- 2/3 cup shredded medium-sharp cheddar
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. Tabasco (optional)
For the shrimp:
- 1 1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 6 oz. bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch dice, fried
until crispy and fat reserved
- 1/3 lb. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions, white and light
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
Meanwhile, prepare the shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Put the shrimp in a shallow bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss with the flour to coat evenly.
In a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the bacon fat. Working in batches, brown the shrimp until almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Return the pan to medium-high heat and warm 2 Tbs. of the bacon fat. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the shrimp and accumulated juices, the bacon, green onions, tomatoes, stock, lemon juice and Tabasco. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are opaque throughout and the vegetables are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide the grits among 6 bowls and top with the shrimp mixture. Serve immediately. Serves 6.