- 1 day-old baguette, cut diagonally into slices
3/4 inch thick
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
- Unsalted butter for cooking
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Blackberries or other berries for garnishing
- Maple syrup for serving
Preheat a griddle according to the manufacturer's instructions and coat generously with butter. When the griddle is hot, cook the bread in batches (do not overcrowd) until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Transfer the French toast to a warmed platter, dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with berries. Serve immediately with maple syrup alongside.