Waffle Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices soft whole-wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
Assemble the sandwiches by buttering the outsides of the bread slices and placing the cheese slices on the insides.
When the waffle iron is hot, put the sandwiches in the waffle iron and close it. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese is oozing. Peek once or twice to make sure they are not getting overcooked. No need to flip these because they will cook evenly on both sides. Remove the sandwiches with tongs or a fork and cool slightly before little hands touch them. Makes 2 sandwiches.
- Try adding a bit of smoked mozzarella or fontina cheese.
- Try adding a slice of deli meat or thinly sliced tomato.
- To clean your waffle iron, lay a damp paper towel in the hot waffle iron for a few seconds to steam the leftover grunge, and use a Q-tip to clean out the crevices.
Adapted from The Toddler Café, by Jennifer Carden (Chronicle Books, 2008).