Grilled Lamb Salad
This recipe draws inspiration from gyros, the popular Middle-Eastern street food. Instead of wrapping the lamb and greens in a flatbread, here it is served as a plated salad. Serve with lightly grilled pita triangles alongside.
For the spicy yogurt dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
To make the dressing, in a blender or food processor, combine the yogurt, the 1/4 tsp. salt, the 1/2 tsp. black pepper, the paprika, cumin, cayenne, lemon juice, cucumber and sun-dried tomatoes. Puree until smooth. Adjust the seasonings with salt and black pepper. Transfer the dressing to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Put the lamb cubes in a bowl and add the olive oil, salt, black pepper and paprika. Turn the lamb to coat, then marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for up to several hours.
Prepare a hot fire in a grill. If using bamboo skewers, soak 8 skewers in water for about 30 minutes.
Thread the lamb onto the skewers. Place the skewers on the grill and cook, turning them several times, until lightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes total for medium-rare. For medium, cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the skewers to a platter and let rest for a few minutes.
In a bowl, combine the mint, parsley and lettuce. Divide among individual plates and add the cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with the dressing, top each salad with 2 skewers of lamb and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2012).