Classic Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch
- 2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half, heated
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Put the potatoes and the 2 tsp. salt in a large pot, add water to cover the potatoes by 3 inches and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently cook the potatoes until they are tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
Set a potato ricer over the pot and pass the potatoes through in batches. Alternatively, return the potatoes to the pot and mash them with a potato masher. Add the butter and gradually add the half-and-half, beating constantly with a large spoon, until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Season with salt and white pepper and transfer to a warmed serving dish. Serve immediately. Serves 8 to 10.