Chopped Chard Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette
This colorful salad is as healthy as it is delicious. Fiber-rich chard lends a leafy crunch, while avocados provide a smooth textural contrast and are full of healthy fats. Crisp apples and tart grapefruit add a subtle sweetness without overpowering the simple freshness of the salad.
- 2 bunches chard, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. slivered almonds, toasted
For the grapefruit vinaigrette:
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5 Tbs. (3 fl. oz./80 ml) fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a bowl, toss together the chard, carrots, avocados, apple and almonds.
To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, combine the shallot and grapefruit juice. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy Dish of the Day, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2014).