- 1 chicken, 3 to 4 lb., cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb. cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 1⁄2 Tbs. chicken demi-glace
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1⁄2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1⁄2-inch
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a large bowl, add the chicken and toss to coat evenly.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate. Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook until the onion is golden and the mushrooms start to brown, about 4 minutes. Off the heat, add the wine and demi-glace. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Return the chicken to the pan, add the thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven, add the potatoes and stir to combine. Continue baking until the chicken is falling off the bone, about 35 minutes more. Remove the pan from the oven, add the tomatoes, stir gently and let stand for 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.