Braised Chicken with Lemon & Green Olives
- 1 chicken, about 5 lb., cut into 8 serving pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup Chardonnay wine reduction*
- 30 picholine or other green olives
- 1 lemon, sliced 1⁄8 inch thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 seconds; do not allow it to burn. Add the Chardonnay wine reduction and cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom, about 2 minutes. Add the olives, lemon slices and bay leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chicken is very tender, about 1 1⁄2 hours.
Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Garnish with the parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
* Available in our retail stores.