Greek-Style Beef Salad
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to
- 1 large bunch watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 cups thinly sliced grilled tri-tip
- 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and
thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup pitted Kalamata or other Mediterranean
- 1/4 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, 2 Tbs. of the mint and the garlic. Whisk in the 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper. Adjust the seasonings as needed.
Assemble the salad
In a bowl, toss the watercress with about half of the vinaigrette. Arrange the beef, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olives and cheese on top of the watercress and gently toss. Divide among salad plates. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette, sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tbs. mint and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Simple Suppers, by Melanie Barnard (Oxmoor House, 2007).