Wood-Fired Pizzas with Salami & Basil
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 batch basic pizza dough, divided into 4 equal balls (see related
recipe at left)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (see related recipe at left)
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 oz. salami, sliced paper-thin
- 2 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh basil
On a floured work surface, roll out each dough ball into a 10-inch round, dusting with flour as needed. Place 1 dough round on a floured pizza peel. Spread 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce on the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle one-fourth of the cheese on top.
Transfer the pizza to the oven, tapping the peel lightly to release the pizza. Bake until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the pizza occasionally to ensure even browning.
Transfer the pizza to a cutting board and arrange one-fourth of the salami on top in an overlapping pattern. Sprinkle with 1/2 Tbs. of the basil. Cut the pizza into slices and serve immediately. Repeat to top and cook the remaining pizzas. Makes four 10-inch pizzas.