Made with canned tomatoes, this sauce is perfect when fresh tomatoes are not in season. Use the sauce when preparing our Spaghetti with Stuffed Meatballs.
- 4 cans (each 28 oz.) whole San Marzano
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 Tbs. slivered fresh basil
In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, salt, pepper and chili flakes, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes; do not allow the garlic to burn. Add the oregano and stir to combine. Stir in the crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in the basil and cook for 1 minute. Makes about 8 cups.