Whole Wheat Fettuccine with Chard
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 oz. pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb. Swiss chard, ribs removed, leaves cut crosswise into thin strips
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 lb. whole wheat fettuccine or linguine
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into chunks, at room temperature
- 1/4 lb. mild Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
In a large fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the pancetta and sauté until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chard and broth. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard is wilted and the flavors have melded, about 7 minutes.
Cook the pasta
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 Tbs. salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente, according to the package instructions. Drain and add the pasta to the chard. Add the pancetta, the butter and cheese and toss to combine. Warm briefly over low heat to melt the cheese and blend the flavors. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Pasta, by Julia della Croce (Oxmoor House, 2006).