White Cheddar Grits
This recipe calls for white grits, which are made from hulled kernels of corn (yellow grits include the whole kernel). Serve these cheesy grits alongside our Braised Chicken with Summer Tomatoes.
- 1 cup white grits
- 4 1/2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup grated medium-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. Tabasco (optional)
In a pot over medium heat, combine the grits, the 4 1/2 cups water, salt and 2 Tbs. of the butter and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. If the grits become too thick, add more water.
Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 Tbs. butter, the cheddar and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses, pepper and Tabasco. Serve immediately. Serves 6.