Tuna and Farro Salad
- 1 1/2 cups farro, soaked in water to cover for 20
minutes and drained
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 4 tsp. brined-cured green peppercorns, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz.) Italian tuna packed in olive
oil, drained and flaked
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small head radicchio, julienned
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
To make the vinaigrette, in a large salad bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, peppercorns and salt.
Add the farro, tuna, onion, celery, parsley and garlic to the vinaigrette and toss until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper. (The salad can be prepared up to 4 hours in advance, covered with plastic wrap and stored at cool room temperature.)
To serve, add the radicchio to the salad bowl and toss to combine. Garnish with the lemon wedges and drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil. Serve immediately. Serves 8.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Outdoor Entertaining, by George Dolese (Free Press, 2006).