Toasted Coconut–Green Onion Jasmine Rice
This simple recipe transforms basic steamed rice into an aromatic dish that adds flavor and color to any meal. You can also use this combination of fresh elements with other grains, including brown rice, quinoa, farro and barley.
- 1 cup (7 oz./220 g) jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 green onions, white and light green portions, chopped
- 1 Tbs. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 small jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook the rice according to the package directions. Keep covered in the pan until ready to use.
Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
Spread the coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the green onions, ginger and jalapeño and sauté just until the vegetables soften and become fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl. Add the steamed rice, toasted coconut, and cilantro and toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Chicken Night, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2014)