Summer Tomato Soup
This summery soup is flavored with fines herbes, a classic combination of chopped fresh parsley, chervil, tarragon and chives. Add the herbs just before serving, as they will quickly lose their flavor.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth (optional)
- 2 lb. plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh fines herbes (combination of parsley, chervil, tarragon and chives)
- Crème fraîche for garnish
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, fennel and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the vermouth and cook until evaporated. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup, leaving some texture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the fines herbes just before serving.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and drizzle with crème fraîche. Serve immediately. Serves 4.