Snow Peas & Chicken Green Curry
Made throughout Southeast Asia, curry paste usually includes fresh ingredients such as lemongrass, galangal, garlic, onions, green or red chilies, and cilantro. Green curry paste, called for in this recipe, is available at Asian markets and well-stocked grocery stores.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 tsp. Thai green curry paste
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast,
thickly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 tsp. Asian fish sauce
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 long green chili, seeded and minced
- 1/2 lb. snow peas, trimmed
- 1/2 lb. button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Steamed rice for serving
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the curry paste and stir-fry for about 45 seconds. Add the chicken and stir-fry until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the fish sauce and a little coconut milk and stir to scrape up the browned bits. Add the remaining coconut milk, the broth and chili and cook, stirring, until the liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the snow peas and mushrooms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
Serve the curry hot over steamed rice. Serves 4.
Adapted from New Healthy Kitchen Series, Main Dishes, by Georgeanne Brennan (Simon & Schuster, 2006).