Piquillo Pepper-Braised Chicken with Cannellini Beans and Peas
Thanks to our piquillo pepper braising sauce, this chicken recipe is a snap to prepare, making it perfect for busy weeknights. To complete the meal, serve saffron rice alongside.
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 jar (16.3 oz.) fire-roasted piquillo pepper weeknight braising sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
For the saffron rice:
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp. saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat an oven to 350ºF.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In an 11-inch French skillet or fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the vegetable oil until just smoking. Working in 2 batches, add the chicken and sear, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per batch.
Return all the chicken to the pan, stir in the braising sauce and cannellini beans, and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, transfer to the oven and bake until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Stir in the peas, cover and let stand for 3 for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the saffron rice: In a 9-inch nonstick French skillet or fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the water, saffron and salt and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, transfer to the oven and bake until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then fluff the rice with a fork.
Garnish the chicken with the parsley and serve immediately with the saffron rice. Serves 4.