This recipe comes together quickly when you have pie dough frozen and ready to use. Simply let the dough thaw overnight in the refrigerator before rolling out and fitting into the tart pan.
- All-purpose flour for rolling out dough
- 1 disk cream cheese pie dough, thawed (see related recipe at left), or purchased piecrust
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lb. mixed fresh mushrooms, such as cremini and stemmed shiitake, halved or quartered
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bake the tart shell
Preheat an oven to 400°F.
On a floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch round. Fit into a 9-inch round tart pan and trim the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold the overhang back over itself and pinch to create a sturdy edge. Pierce the dough all over with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes.
Bake the pastry shell until the edges are lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
Make the filling and finish the tart
In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the crème fraîche and oregano, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
Spread the mushroom mixture in the pastry shell. Bake until the crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool briefly. Remove the pan rim, cut the tart into wedges and serve. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Make Ahead, by Rick Rodgers (Oxmoor House, 2008).