Ginger Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 Tbs. salt, plus more, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs. finely grated fresh ginger
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a small saucepan over medium heat, gently warm the half-and-half and 1 1¿2 Tbs. of the butter. Set aside.
In a small sauté pan over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 1 Tbs. butter. Add the ginger and cook until soft but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the ginger to the half-and-half mixture.
Set a potato ricer over the pot and pass the potatoes through in batches. Alternatively, return the potatoes to the pot and mash them with a potato masher. Gradually add the half-and-half mixture, stirring until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a warmed serving bowl. Serve immediately.