Slow-Roasted Five-Spice Pork
- 4 lb. boneless pork shoulder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 Tbs. cracked SoGo Chinese five spice*
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
Season the pork on all sides with salt and coat with the five spice.
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until almost smoking. Add the pork and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Add the onion, cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Roast until the meat is very tender and shreds easily when pulled with a fork, about 4 1⁄2 hours.
Transfer the pork to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onion to a small bowl.
Cut the pork into 1⁄2-inch slices or shred with 2 forks. Arrange the meat on a warmed platter and pass the onion alongside. Serves 8.
* Available at Williams-Sonoma stores.