Fire-Roasted Corn Salad
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. mild chili powder
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 lb. feta cheese, diced
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill. Brush a little olive oil on each ear of corn. Grill the corn, turning the ears often so they cook evenly, until lightly charred, about 10 minutes.
Steady each ear of corn on a cutting board and, using a sharp knife, cut down along the cob to strip off the kernels. Alternatively, remove the kernels with a kernel cutter. Put the kernels in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, feta and the vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Transfer the salad to a platter and sprinkle with the cumin seeds. Serve immediately. Serves 8.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Entertaining, Edited by Chuck Williams (Oxmoor House, 2004).