Crab and Asparagus Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock or prepared broth
- 1 tsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 lb. asparagus spears, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbs. water
- 2 tsp. dry sherry
- 1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked crabmeat, picked over for shell fragments
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir 2 Tbs. of the hot stock into the beaten egg. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the stock, stirring constantly to form even threads of cooked egg.
Add the cornstarch mixture, sherry, sesame oil and soy sauce. Cook, stirring, until the soup thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
Stir in the crabmeat and cook just until it is warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve immediately. Serves 4.