Boston Eggnog with Cardamom
No drink is more closely associated with Christmas than eggnog, a rich and potent concoction of cream or milk, spices and a stiff dose of liquor, usually brandy or rum. This version, which also includes Madeira, would be perfect for serving to friends and family around the fire on Christmas Eve.
- Ice cubes
- 3/4 cup (6 fl. oz./180 ml) whole milk
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) brandy
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) amber rum
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) Madeira
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 or 3 dashes of ground cardamom, plus more for garnish
- 2 or 3 pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks for garnish
Fill a tall cocktail shaker half full with ice. Add the milk, brandy, rum, Madeira, egg yolks, sugar, cardamom and nutmeg. Cover and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into 2 old-fashioned glasses or mugs, dividing it evenly. Garnish each glass with a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of cardamom and serve immediately. Serves 2.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Holiday Entertaining, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2007)