- Shun Classic Steak Knives, Set of 4 Sugg. Price $476 Our Price $259.95
- Shun Kaji 4-Piece Steak Knife Set Sugg. Price $748 Our Price $349.95
- Shun Large Higo Nokami Gentleman’s Knife Sugg. Price $150 Our Price $119.95
- Shun Shima Steak Knife Set Sugg. Price $300 Our Price $199.95
- Shun Premier 4-Piece Steak Knife Set Sugg. Price $624 Our Price $419.95
- Shun Premier Steak Knife Sugg. Price $156 Our Price $124.95
Why You Should Own A Shun Steak Knife
Expand your knife collection with a Shun steak knife. These beautifully streamlined knives are the tabletop version of the Japanese cutler's iconic kitchen knives. With blades inspired by the ancient samurai arts, Shun steak knives use the same legendary techniques used to make samurai swords. Discover the simple wonder of these exceptional knives now.
Elements of The Ideal Steak Knife
When shopping for steak knives, keep in mind a few basics.
- Steak knives are either serrated or straight-edged. Serrated knives cut through thicker cuts of meat, leaving the fibers torn or textured. Straight-edge knives offer a clean cut.
- Some knives, particularly those made in Japan like Shun knives, feature hammered blades that help food slide off the blade of the knife once you're done cutting. This contributes to a dining experience that feels sumptuous and smooth.
- The balance of a steak knife is slightly different than that of a kitchen knife. For instance, a Shun blade you use for food prep is known for its light weight and extra-sharp blade. A Shun steak knife may have a proportionally heavier handle for ease of balancing while dining.
Shun's Dedication to Perfection
The name Shun--it rhymes with "moon"--comes from the Japanese word for the precise moment when a particular food is at its peak. This romantic take on cooking and cuisine highlights the possibility that some moments offer a rare perfection. Those moments include dining with a Shun.
- Shun has hand-crafted cutlery using the same basic techniques for over 100 years.
- The techniques date back several centuries and are refined as technology makes way for minor changes. Overall, the craftsmanship of these blades is a long-studied art form.
- Cutlers craft their knives in Seki City, known as the heart of the Japanese knife industry since the 13th century.
- Each knife requires over 100 handcrafted steps to complete. Your steak knives are an exercise in heritage and artistry.
Selecting The Best Shun Steak Knife Set for You
Selecting the best Shun steak knife set for your home is a matter of personal taste and preference.
- Choose from straight or tapered handles to determine grip.
- For a heavier knife, look for styles with polished bolsters at the handle's butt.
- Decide if you prefer a prominent bolster at the middle of the knife to make whole-blade sharpening a little quicker.
To get a clear idea of which steak knife sets are best, compare Shun cutlery with an at-a-glance chart of your options or browse online now.