- 1 lb. dried Great Northern beans
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth,
plus more as needed
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup canned diced green chilies
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. grilled chicken breasts, cut into
- 3/4 cup grated low-fat Monterey jack cheese
In a large heavy pot over high heat, combine the beans, the 4 cups broth, half the onions and the garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently, adding more broth as needed, until the beans are very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir in the remaining onions, the chilies, cumin, oregano, coriander, cloves, cayenne and salt. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Add the salt during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Just before serving, add the chicken and cook until heated through. Ladle the chili into warmed individual bowls and top each serving with 2 Tbs. of the cheese.