- 5 dried ancho chilies, soaked in boiling water,
drained, seeded and chopped
- 4 fresh Anaheim chilies, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lb. cooked chicken, cut into 1⁄2-inch dice
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips 2 inches long
- 6 oz. crumbled queso fresco or shredded jack
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the canola oil until almost smoking. Add the chili mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in the stock and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the chicken and chopped cilantro.
Meanwhile, in a deep fryer, pour in vegetable oil and heat to 375°F according to the manufacturer's instructions. Working in batches, fry the tortilla strips until crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish with the tortilla strips, cilantro leaves, cheese and avocado slices and serve immediately. Serves 6.