Tomato, Melon and Pepita Salad
Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) add an unexpected twist to this colorful salad, which should be saved for the height of summer, when heirloom tomatoes, cantaloupe, basil and mint are at their peak of ripeness.
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. Champagne vinegar
- 6 to 8 Green Zebra and/or red heirloom tomatoes, cut into 8
- 1/2 cantaloupe, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) wedges, then
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) pepitas, toasted
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 10 fresh mint leaves, torn
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Add the tomatoes, cantaloupe, pepitas, basil and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer to a platter and serve. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).