Italian Sausage and Fresh Mozzarella Pizza with Peppers
Show off summer produce with this colorful pizza, topped with sliced bell peppers and tomatoes. By using a bakers peel, you can easily transport the pizza to the preheated pan in the oven.
- 1/2 batch Food-Processor Pizza Dough
- Cornmeal for dusting
- 1 to 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and
diced, or 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 lb. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick
- 1/4 lb. Italian sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
Place a cast-iron pizza pan in an oven and preheat to 450°F.
Roll out the dough into a 12-inch round. Lightly dust a bakers peel with cornmeal and lay the dough on top. Lightly brush the dough with the olive oil and spread the tomatoes evenly on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Lay the cheese slices evenly over the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter the bell peppers and sausage evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle with half of the oregano and season with salt and pepper.
Carefully slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza pan. Bake until the bottom of the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the pizza with the remaining oregano. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into slices and serve. Serves 2.