Spring Greens with Watermelon, Strawberries and Feta
At 18 Reasons, a cooking school in San Francisco, staff and volunteers teach classes to help participants gain confidence in the kitchen and learn to make healthy meals on a budget. This beautiful salad is one example. Perfectly balanced, it features crisp greens, sweet fruit, salty feta cheese and crunchy almonds. If you or your kids prefer a slightly sweet dressing, whisk in the optional honey, adjusting the quantity according to your taste.
For the dressing:
- 1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbs. honey (optional)
For the salad:
- 5 cups (5 oz./155 g) spring salad greens
- 1 1/4 cups (6 1/4 oz./190 g) diced watermelon
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz./155 g) sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 oz. (125 g) feta cheese, thinly sliced or crumbled
To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and honey.
To make the salad, in a large bowl, combine the salad greens, watermelon, strawberries, onion and almonds. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the feta and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Recipe courtesy of 18 Reasons’ Cooking Matters, San Francisco, CA