Red Oakleaf and Frisée Salad with Persimmons
For the vinaigrette:
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. fresh mint leaves
- 1 1⁄2 Tbs. white wine vinegar or pear vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper,
- Leaves from 3 to 4 heads red oakleaf lettuce
- Leaves from 1 head frisée lettuce
- 2 Fuyu persimmons, peeled, seeded if necessary
and cut into thin wedges
- Seeds from 1⁄2 pomegranate
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
Tear the oakleaf and frisée leaves into bite-size pieces and put them in a large bowl. Add the persimmons. Whisk the vinaigrette, add most of it to the salad and toss well to coat. Taste and adjust the amount of the vinaigrette and the seasonings. If serving the salad family style, add the pomegranate seeds and hazelnuts and toss. Or, divide the salad among individual salad plates and sprinkle each serving with pomegranate seeds and hazelnuts. Serve immediately. Serves 8 to 10.
Variation Tip: If you cannot find fresh pomegranates, substitute 1/3 cup dried cranberries.