When you’re assembling a spread of Portuguese small plates known as pesticos, be sure to include a dish of marinated olives, which are super easy to prepare. As they simmer in oil, the olives are imbued with the flavors of garlic, oregano, sweet paprika and bay. They’re delicious warm or at room temperature.
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Zest of 1/2 orange, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) unpitted green olives, such as Castelvetrano or Manzanilla
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the olive oil, garlic, orange zest, oregano, paprika, bay leaf and olives. Heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 6 to 8.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen