Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
- 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white vermouth or wine
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped and juices reserved,
or 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) tomatoes, drained and
finely chopped, juices reserved
- 1 Tbs. dried Greek oregano, crumbled, or 2 Tbs.
minced fresh oregano
- Sea salt, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Sweet Hungarian paprika, to taste
- 2/3 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese,
preferably Greek or Bulgarian
- 2 lb. large shrimp, peeled, with tail
segments intact, and deveined
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh mint, plus mint sprigs for
Stir in the cheese, then the shrimp. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the shrimp are evenly pink and the cheese is beginning to melt, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the oregano, if using fresh, and the minced mint. Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve immediately from the pan. Serves 4.
Serving Tip: Serve with thick slices of French or Italian country-style bread for sopping up the juices.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Seafood, by Carolyn Miller (Simon & Schuster, 2005).