Here, a kir royale, a festive sparkling drink made with Champagne and crème de cassis, or black currant liqueur, gets dressed up for the holidays with the addition of fresh ginger and pomegranate seeds.
- 3/4-inch (2-cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 oz. (30 ml) crème de cassis
- 1/2 oz. (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 6 oz. (180 ml) chilled Champagne
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
In a cocktail shaker, use a muddler to muddle the ginger, releasing some of its juice. Add the crème de cassis and lemon juice to the shaker. Fill the shaker with ice and shake until well chilled, about 15 seconds. Pour the Champagne into a Champagne flute and strain the ginger mixture on top of the Champagne. Add the Angostura bitters and stir gently to combine. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately. Makes 1 drink.
Recipe by Ashley Rose Conway, creator of Craft + Cocktails