Frisée Salad with Lardons and Brioche
- 1/2 lb. thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices brioche, each 3/4 inch thick, lightly
- 2 heads frisée, cored, leaves torn into 3-inch
- 4 poached eggs
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Discard all but 2 Tbs. fat from the pan and warm over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until softened, about 1 minute. Add the vinegar, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cover the pan to keep the dressing warm.
Place 1 brioche slice on each of 4 salad plates. In a large salad bowl, combine the bacon and frisée. Pour the warm dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Arrange the salad on top of the brioche, dividing equally. Top each salad with 1 poached egg, garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.