Cream of Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 Bermuda onion, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, about 3 lb.,
peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and
- 4 pinches of Spanish saffron threads, about
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Add the apples, saffron and nutmeg and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender, about 15 minutes. Using a food processor or a blender, puree the soup in batches until smooth. Return the soup to the pot, stir in the cream, and season with salt and pepper. Warm gently as needed.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve immediately.