- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb. ground beef, lamb or goat
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala or ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 fresh mild green chilies, such as Anaheim,
- 1 egg
- 1 slice white bread, crusts removed
- 2 Tbs. milk
- Hot and spicy tomato chutney for serving
In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk for 1 minute, mash it to a pulp and add it to the meat mixture. Mix thoroughly, preferably with your hands, kneading the mixture until it is uniformly smooth and silky. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, then make 8 balls with each portion. (If necessary, dip your fingers in water to prevent the meat from sticking to them while you make the kabobs.)
Heat 2 large nonstick fry pans over high heat until hot. Place 16 kabobs in each pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and fry, shaking the pan and turning the kabobs, until they are cooked through and browned all over, about 8 minutes. If necessary, reduce the heat to medium during the last few minutes of cooking.
Serve hot, warm or at room temperature with the chutney.