Hot and Spicy Tomato Chutney (Takkalipayam Chatni)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. powdered asafetida (see note) or 1
tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 8 fresh hot green chilies, slivered
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and slivered
- 1 1/2 lb. tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, as needed
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
Carefully stir and turn the tomatoes and continue cooking until they are soft but still hold their shape, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the lemon juice, taste and adjust the seasonings with salt, as needed.
Serve hot, at room temperature or cold. The chutney can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 5 days.